Details of the Middlehaven regeneration project
What is Middlehaven
Middlehaven is Middlesbrough's flagship regeneration area and includes world class residential, office, education, leisure and cultural developments.
Middlehaven is Middlesbrough's town centre north of the A66 and incorporates the dockside near Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium and the landmark Transporter Bridge.
It has already attracted £110m of investment with a further £18m committed for 2012.
The regeneration area combines the preservation and renewal of historic buildings in Middlesbrough's original centre with striking and ambitious contemporary architecture and art.
Already at Middlehaven:
- Middlesbrough College - more than 4,000 full-time students and apprentices enjoy state-of-the-art education facilities at the stunning college building.
- The Boho Zone - with its £10m Boho One headquarters and BoHouse living quarters, the zone fosters digital and creative businesses.
- Manhattan Gate - stylish waterside office buildings. The two office buildings at Hudson Quay are now fully let.
- Community in a Cube (CIAC) - CIAC a unique residential development that includes a range of studios and loft-style living with spectacular views.
- myplace at the Custom House - a £4.3m youth centre which includes recording and film studios and a 108-seater theatre. It also houses health and job advice services for young people. Myplace involved the ambitious renovation of the historic Custom House.
- Temenos - a huge sculpture by internationally renowned artist Anish Kapoor - was unveiled in 2010.
- Transporter Bridge - Teesside's favourite landmark is set for a £2.6m refurbishment and upgrade thanks to the Heritage Lottery Fund. The work includes the installation of glass lifts.
- The Riverside Stadium - home to the world famous Middlesbrough FC during their exciting modern era, the stadium first opened in 1995 has a capacity of 35,000.
- Stages Academy - a £5.7m pioneering centre to provide a new start in life for homeless people. The Stages Academy is run by Riverside ECHG and aims to provide residents with the skills and confidence to move on with their lives.
- Middlesbrough Police HQ - officially opened in 2007, the headquarters for the Middlesbrough division of Cleveland Police is open 24 hours-a-day and includes a 50-cell custody unit.
- Boho 4 at Gibson House - set in the beautifully restored Gibson House, built in 1872, Boho Four provides premium quality offices for businesses in the vibrant Boho Zone.
Coming to Middlehaven in the next year...
- Whickham Villa - a £10m neuro rehabilitation centre which will be the only one of its kind in the country. The facility will help people in their recovery from serious brain or spinal injury and other conditions.
- New Sixth Form Centre MC6 at Middlesbrough College - a new £6.8m Sixth Form Centre, MC6 will give students from across Teesside access to some of the best facilities in the country including 13 classrooms, a student lounge, a full size flood lit Astro turf pitch and a 'high ropes' centre.