Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Benefits and Council Tax Icon

Are you struggling to pay your Council Tax?

Manage your debt

Citizens Advice can give you advice on dealing with your debt. Find out how to contact Citizens Advice in Middlesbrough.

The National Debt Helpline (0808 808 4000) can give you free, impartial, and confidential advice about how to deal with your debt.

Cleveland Housing Advice Centre offers advice on debt, and will also speak to creditors on your behalf about repaying or reducing your debts. Visit Cleveland Housing Advice Centre’s website or call 01642 254544.

If you’re struggling to pay your bills and you’ve borrowed cash from someone, and they’re now threatening you or making you pay back huge amounts of money, they might be a loan shark. You can report a loan shark to the Illegal Money Lending Team, who will investigate and try to send them to prison. Report a loan shark online or call 0300 555 2222.

Organise your money

The Money Advice Service gives free advice on budgeting, which can help you make your money last longer. Find out more about budgeting.

Middlesbrough Environment City can give one-to-one energy efficiency advice to people with long term health conditions, and people living with dementia and their carers. This advice may help you to reduce your bills, giving you more money to go towards your Council Tax.

Get advice

You can get help with benefits from advisors at Middlesbrough House during the following times:

  • Monday: 8:30am to 4:30pm
  • Tuesday: 8:30am to 4:30pm
  • Wednesday: 8:30am to 4:30pm
  • Thursday: 8:30am to 4:30pm
  • Friday: 8:30am to 4pm

Change your payments / pay less

Move to paying off your balance over 12 months instead of 10. You’ll pay the same amount over the year, but the amount you pay every month will be less.

Move to making payments every week instead of every month. You’ll pay the same amount over the year, but paying every week can help if you find it hard to budget for a whole month and often run out of money by the time your bill is due.

To switch to paying over 12 months, or to paying weekly, you'll need to contact the Revenues service by calling 01642 726006.

You might be able to get a discount or exemption which would mean you’d pay less Council Tax. Find out more about discounts and exemptions. You may be able to get Council Tax Reduction if your household income is low. Find out more and make a claim for Council Tax Reduction.