Pay Icon

Council Tax charges

Council Tax is a tax used in England to partly fund the services provided by local councils. Most domestic properties are subject to Council Tax.

One bill is issued per property, whether it's a house, bungalow, flat or maisonette, and whether it's owned or rented.

What is my Council Tax spent on?

The money raised through Council Tax helps the council to deliver services to the people of Middlesbrough every day.

Just a few services we provide include: keeping roads safe; supporting residents with health, social and family issues; ensuring waste and recycling is collected; removing graffiti; introducing children to reading through libraries; running elections and referendums which give residents a voice on local and national issues; investing in our town's buildings and people, and providing high quality schools.

Money from Council Tax is also given to the fire brigade and police to keep our communities safe.

You can view documents from the council, fire brigade and Cleveland Police which explain in more detail what the money is used for:

What is my Council Tax for 2017/18?

Valuation Range of values Council Tax charge
A Up to and including £40,000 £1,186.63
B £40,001 - £52,000 £1,384.39
C £52,001 - £68,000 £1,582.16
D £68,001 - £88,000 £1,779.94
E £88,001 - £120,000 £2,175.49
F £120,001 - £160,000 £2,571.02
G £160,001 - £320,000 £2,966.57
H More than £320,000 £3,559.88
  • Properties which are unoccupied and unfurnished for 2 years or more are charged one and a half times the standard Council Tax charge (150%)

  • All second homes are charged the full rate of Council Tax

  • Properties undergoing structural alterations aren't eligible for discounts or exemptions

How is my Council Tax worked out?

Each dwelling (such as a house, flat or bungalow) is placed in a Council Tax band according to its value. Valuations are carried out by the Valuation Office, not the council.

Valuation was last carried out in 1991, so Council Tax bands are based on what the property was or would have been worth in 1991. Properties and their bands are listed in valuation lists which are publicly available for anybody to look at.

Find out which Council Tax band your home falls in by choosing 'property enquiry' in your Council Tax account.

If you disagree with your Council Tax banding, you may be able to make an appeal. Read more about Council Tax banding appeals on the GOV.UK website. Please note, if you appeal against your band, you must still pay your bill while you're waiting for the appeal to be dealt with.

  • Hazardous road conditions are forecast - we will be out gritting the roads. Please drive cautiously
    1 day 5 hours ago
  • RT @RSGB_NE: Mixing drink or drugs with driving can be fatal. The family of tragic student Lucy Pinder know all too well the dev…
    1 day 7 hours ago
  • Remember loved ones at a memorial service. Teesside Crematorium, Sunday 17 Dec, 3pm. Visit our website for info:
    1 day 8 hours ago