Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Benefits and Council Tax Icon

Discretionary Housing Payment

If your Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of your Universal Credit doesn’t cover the full amount of your rent, you may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) if you can't afford to pay the rest.

DHPs are a short term solution. They give you time to adjust your circumstances so you can afford to pay the rest of your rent yourself, although there are circumstances when help can be provided for longer.

What DHPs can pay for

DHPs are made to help you move to cheaper alternative accommodation, or improve your financial situation. They can also be made to ease financial hardship as a result of a change in your circumstances, a reduction in income, or where your tenancy is at risk.

Each request for a DHP is considered on its individual merits, taking into account your finances and personal circumstances. So it's important that you give as much information as possible when you apply.

What DHPs can not pay for

  • Rent arrears
  • Loans or debts
  • Reductions in income due to sanctions or a suspension of your benefit
  • Water, meals, fuel or other ineligible service charges included in your rent
  • Any reduction in Housing Benefit that occurs when a benefit overpayment is recovered

Make a claim

You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment online.

If you’re getting Universal Credit, you’ll need to tell us about the amount of rent you have to pay, before we can give you a DHP. Send us proof of your rent using the online form.

If your claim is successful, you'll get a letter saying how much you'll get, how long it'll be paid for, and how it will be paid.

If your claim is unsuccessful, you'll get a letter saying why your application has been refused, as well as details of how to ask for a review if you do not agree with our decision.