Pay Icon

Make a claim online

Please note, we can only process applications for new claims from residents living in the area covered by Middlesbrough Council. To check that your address falls into this local authority area, please use the GOV.UK postcode checker.


You may qualify for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if any of the following apply to you:

  • you're on a low income (whether you're already employed or are looking for work)
  • you have dependent children
  • you're ill or disabled
  • you're caring for someone
  • you're aged 60 or over
  • you've been bereaved
  • you're pregnant or have recently had a baby
  • you have less than £16,000 in savings (if your savings are over £16,000, you aren't eligible to claim housing benefit or Council Tax Reduction, unless this money was from a compensation payment or a Prisoner of War payment).


You can use the online benefits calculator as a guide to the amount of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction you might be able to claim. Please note, this is only an estimate.

About your application

Please read this section in full before completing your application.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction are paid from the Monday following the date you submit your form online.

If you want your claim to start from an earlier date, please make sure you answer 'yes' to the question 'Do you want your claim backdated?', and give the reasons why you didn't make a claim earlier.

Please note, to protect your security, your claim will time out after 60 minutes if the system doesn't detect any user interaction. If you need to take a break from filling in your claim before it's finished, you'll be given a reference key, and asked to create a number of memorable questions and answers. The reference key will allow you to return to your incomplete claim at a later date to finish entering your details and submit the claim. Please note, the reference key is only valid for 14 days. After 14 days, your incomplete claim will expire and you'll have to start a new claim.

Once you've submitted your claim online, you'll be given a tracking reference number. This reference number will also be emailed to you if you've entered a valid email address on the claim form.

Once your claim is submitted successfully, and you've uploaded all your evidence, your claim will be processed. We may need to contact you if we need further evidence in order to calculate your claim.

Please don't submit a claim form unless you want to make a claim. If you want to check your eligibility for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction, use the benefit entitlement calculator.

If you don't have all the supporting evidence you need when you make your claim online, it can be uploaded online. All evidence to support your claim must be supplied to us within one calendar month of submitting your claim form online.

If you're unable to upload your evidence you can bring it to the Customer Centre at Middlesbrough House within one calendar month of you submitting your claim, and an advisor will upload it for you.

Once your benefit is awarded, you must report all future changes in your income and household to us. You can do this quickly online by visiting the change in circumstances page. You'll need a valid email address.

It's easy to create an email account which you can use to access our online services. Some of the most popular websites to create email addresses are OutlookGmail, and Yahoo. All these websites are safe and free to use.


Before you start

If you've just moved house and you're liable to pay Council Tax at your new address, you'll need to set up a Revenues and Benefits account online. You can also apply for Single Person Discount using the Revenues and Benefits account.

Once you've created your Revenues and Benefits account, you should then return to this page to make your claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax reduction.

You'll need the following information available to make a new claim:

  • your National Insurance number
  • the amount of rent you're charged, as shown on your tenancy agreement or a recent letter showing a change in rent
  • details of your weekly income and any savings you and your partner have
  • the gross weekly income for anyone else who lives with you, who you don't receive Child Benefit for
  • the annual amount of Council Tax you have to pay (if you know) - this is shown on your Council Tax bill if you have one

Apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

You may need to provide additional evidence to support your claim, and this can be uploaded via the relevant pages (available via 'related pages').