Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Pay Icon

Bedroom entitlement

There will be a change to your usual bin collection day on week commencing Monday 30 May, due to the extra Bank Holiday. Our crews will be working between Monday to Thursday and all refuse collections that week will move a day forward. View your bin collection calendar.

The Local Housing Allowance rate is based on the number of bedrooms a tenant is allowed. The number of living rooms, kitchens and bathrooms in the property is ignored (unless in shared accommodation).

You can use a bedroom entitlement calculator to find out how many bedrooms your household needs.

Additional room for a non-resident carer

An additional room is allowed for a non-resident carer where:

  • There is an established need for overnight care and that care is provided by someone who isn't part of the household
  • The property has an actual additional bedroom, which is used for the non-resident carer to sleep in

If you think you meet the above criteria, please call 01642 726006 (10am to 4pm) to discuss this with a benefit advisor. You may be asked to provide further information from a GP etc., to confirm the details.

Single people aged under 35

Housing Benefit entitlement is restricted to the shared accommodation rate of Local Housing Allowance.

Exemptions to the shared accommodation rate for those aged under 35

You may not be restricted to the shared accommodation rate if you:

  • have a non-dependant living in the household
  • get the middle or higher rate of Disability Living Allowance and qualify for a severe disability premium
  • have an additional bedroom and there is an established need for a non-resident overnight carer
  • are blind
  • are aged under 22 and were formerly in the care of social services

In addition to the above, there are further exemptions to the shared accommodation rate for those who are aged between 25 to 34 and: 

  • have spent three months or more in a homeless hostel which assists in rehabilitation and resettlement
  • are at risk of sleeping rough
  • are ex-offenders placed with a multi agency under the Criminal Justice Act 2003

If you think one of the exemptions may apply to you, or one of your tenants (if you're a private landlord), it's important that you contact the Benefit Services to discuss this further. Please call 01642 726006 (10am to 4pm) to speak to a benefit advisor.

Alternatively you can print the 'Under 35 exemption claim form' and return the completed form to Benefit Services. Please note you may be asked to provide evidence to support your application.