Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Pay Icon

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit which replaces six existing benefits with a single monthly payment. It replaces Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Housing Benefit. If you're claiming any of these benefits and your circumstances change, you may be asked to claim Universal Credit.

If you need help with Universal Credit, we’ve listed some of the support available below. We also have a FAQs page to answer some of the questions you might have about Universal Credit.

How can you help me make a Universal Credit claim?

There are a number of places across Middlesbrough where you can use a computer to make a Universal Credit claim. You can see all the locations and addresses on a Google Map or in a table.

If you need help to claim Universal Credit, you can get support by contacting your nearest Jobcentre Plus or Citizens Advice.

What other support can I get with Universal Credit?

Getting an advance payment of my Universal Credit - you can find out about getting an advanced Universal Credit payment online at GOV.UK.

Pay some of my Universal Credit to my landlord to pay my rent - you should speak to your work coach at the Jobcentre, or your landlord, to set this up.

Claim a short-term emergency support payment - if you can’t get an advance payment, call us on 0808 178 9278 to find out if you could get an emergency support payment.

Get support with improving your computer skillsour courses can help you with claiming and managing Universal Credit online, or help you learn basic computer skills.

Help with budgeting - Universal Credit is paid monthly (not weekly or fortnightly like most other benefits), so you might need help getting used to it. Budgeting support can help you to identify your most important bills, and convert what you spend from weekly to monthly. It can also offer support and guidance on less important spending. If you do need help, you can ask your work coach at the Jobcentre for more information, or you can contact the Money Advice Service.

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) - If your Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of your Universal Credit doesn’t cover the full amount of your rent, you may be able to get a DHP. Find out more and apply for a DHP.

On the FAQs page, we’ve answered some of the questions about Universal Credit which have been asked by lots of Middlesbrough residents.

All services