Rules are in place in our cemeteries for the comfort and safety of both visitors and our staff. When you visit one of our cemeteries, please be aware of the following rules:
Please be mindful of the following (but not limited to) rules and regulations within our cemeteries:
- Show respect for the grounds and other visitors, and keep your voice at a normal volume.
- Put rubbish in the bins provided, or take it home with you.
- Keep dogs on a lead at all times, and pick up (and properly dispose of) any dog poo.
- Items placed on traditional graves must not be placed outside of the kerb set area (7ft x 3ft). Items placed on lawn graves must not encroach on the lawn area.
- We can remove items placed outside of the grave area, or which go against our rules, without telling you first.
- Headstones and memorials can only be installed by a council-approved memorial mason. The registered owner is responsible for maintaining the headstone or memorial. We're responsible for carrying out the necessary safety testing, and we'll take action if needed. This might involve laying the headstone flat for safety, or contacting the registered owner to deal with the problem.
- We have the right of access in our cemeteries and grounds, including access to, and across, graves. We have the right to access any area of the cemetery to prepare graves and carry out maintenance, including removing or moving items or memorials. When we're digging new graves, we may place soil on neighbouring graves. This is always done with full care and respect, and following cemetery rules and burial procedures. Members of the public are not allowed to stop our staff from carrying out their duties.
All of our cemeteries are compliant with the Local Authorities Cemeteries Order 1977. A Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) is in place in all of our cemeteries to stop anti-social behaviour and keep visitors and staff safe.
Middlesbrough Council are not liable for any loss, damage, incidents, or accidents which occur in our cemeteries and grounds. You may want to think about insurance cover for your headstone or memorial.
For more information about rules in Middlesbrough's cemeteries, contact Bereavement Services.