Births, Deaths and Marriages Certificates Icon

Convert a civil partnership to a marriage

Couples in existing civil partnerships are able to convert them into a marriages. You'll be issued with a marriage certificate which will show your marriage as existing from the date of the original civil partnership.

You have the choice of:

  • a simple one-stage process at the Register Office involving the completion and signing of the declaration, and checking the evidence of name, date of birth, address and the civil partnership
  • a two-stage process where a Superintendent Registrar or their deputy can complete the signing of the conversion at another venue (any approved premises such as hotels, stately homes and religious premises which have been registered for the marriage of same-sex couples), which will allow the couple's family and friends to attend. A ceremony can follow immediately after or within 12 months of the date of the declaration

The fee for the one-stage process will be £45, with an £27 payable for a two-stage process. A ceremony, if chosen, will have an additional cost.

  • Hazardous road conditions are forecast - we will be out gritting the roads. Please drive cautiously
    1 day 3 hours ago
  • RT @RSGB_NE: Mixing drink or drugs with driving can be fatal. The family of tragic student Lucy Pinder know all too well the dev…
    1 day 5 hours ago
  • Remember loved ones at a memorial service. Teesside Crematorium, Sunday 17 Dec, 3pm. Visit our website for info:
    1 day 6 hours ago