Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Jobs and Careers Icon

Registered charities and non-profit organisations

We're currently reviewing our charitable discretionary relief policy, so we're currently unable to accept any applications for discretionary relief. We expect this review will be completed by November 2022.

Registered charities

Registered charities may apply for business rate relief, which reduces their rate liability by 80%.

Registered charities may also apply for relief on the remaining 20% of their liability by indicating on the application form that they wish to apply for discretionary relief.

You can register as a charity by using GOV.UK, or by calling the HMRC charities helpline on 0300 123 1073.

Non-profit organisations

Some organisations may apply for discretionary rate relief if the organisation is not officially established or was set up as not-for-profit and is either:

  • an institution or organisation whose main objectives are charitable or philanthropic, religious, or concerned with education, social welfare, science, literature or the fine arts.
  • a club, society or other organisation, and the property is used wholly or mainly for the purpose of recreation.

Registered Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) are eligible for rate relief. To qualify as a CASC, a sports club must:

  • be open to the whole community
  • be run as an amateur club
  • be a non-profit organisation
  • aim to provide facilities for, and encourage people to take part in, eligible sports.

If you're a sports club which has not registered as a CASC and are interested in the registration process, please visit the GOV.UK website or call the HMRC charities helpline on 0300 123 1073.

You can register as a charity by using GOV.UK, or by calling the HMRC charities helpline on 0300 123 1073.