Middlesbrough is one of 100 towns across the country selected to apply for up to £25m of Government investment. The overarching aim of the Towns Fund is to drive the sustainable economic regeneration of towns to deliver long term economic and productivity growth.
The Vision for Middlesbrough
Five themes underpin the economic ambitions and aim to rebuild Middlesbrough’s economic and social fortunes:
- Transport and connectivity - All travel modes will be enhanced
- Urban communities and place-making - New urban communities, new employment accommodation and a broader leisure mix will be created
- The Middlesbrough experience - Middlesbrough will be the key destination in the Tees Valley
- Building a knowledge economy - Quality of life and outcomes for residents will be improved through education and training
- Enterprise infrastructure - Middlesbrough will deliver premium commercial space to enable additional employment
By 2030, Middlesbrough will be transformed by:
- 2000 new urban homes in the town centre, home to 4000 residents;
- £500,000,000 investment between 2020 and 2024
- 265,000 sq. ft. of additional modern office floorspace
- 2700 new jobs
- 35% increase in rail passenger patronage
- 16 km of new cycle ways provided
- New Town Centre Art College and Secondary school by 2024
The Town Deal Board
Middlesbrough has brought together some of the most influential business heads, community leaders, public institutions and educational leaders, to shape the business case which will drive public and private investment. These professionals comprise Middlesbrough’s Town Deal Board.
The role of the Board is to work collaboratively to develop and agree the Town Investment Plan for submission to Government and oversee its delivery, ensuring that it maximises opportunities for communities and businesses across the Town, and drives long term economic growth.
For further information or to have your say on Middlesbrough’s proposals email: TIP@middlesbrough.gov.uk.