Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Social Care and Support Icon

Help with your gas and electric

Help with your gas and electric

The Community Support Scheme helps people who are in crisis and need immediate support. We can offer help in specific circumstances, for a range of different items or needs, including gas and electric.

Find out more and apply for help through the Community Support Scheme.

Get advice about gas and electricity

Middlesbrough Affordable Warmth Partnership gives free and independent advice on your household energy bills. This includes:

  • making sure you're getting the best energy deals
  • help with applying for the Warm Homes Discount and Priority Services Register
  • arranging payment plans
  • help with applying for fuel debt write-offs
  • energy saving advice
  • checking your eligibility for boiler replacement and insulation schemes
  • referrals for emergency heating, benefit checks, and more

For more information, call the Freephone line on 0800 3047084 or email

Stay Safe and Warm - Cleveland Fire Brigade

The Stay Safe and Warm scheme is free, and open to anyone living in Cleveland. No age restrictions apply.

Through the scheme, you can borrow heaters and other equipment as needed (after a free home assessment). So whether you have a short-term problem like a boiler breakdown, or an ongoing heating issue, they can help.

Call 01429 874063 for help. The line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and they aim to respond within an hour of being contacted.

Moving house (removal or storage) costs

Are you thinking about moving house? Will you need to pay to have your belongings removed or put into storage?

If so, you might be able to get help with these costs if you're getting Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (housing element).

We'll need to see either evidence of how much the storage will cost, or quotes from two removal firms, depending on which cost you would like to apply for.

Apply for help with moving costs.

Other financial support

You may be able to get a government grant depending on your circumstances or any benefits you're getting. The government website has more information about:

Report it