Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Transporter Bridge Icon

Travelling outside the UK

National lockdown: Stay at home. You must not leave your home unless necessary. Find out what you can and cannot do.

If you want to travel to another country to visit, work, or live long term you will need:

  • a travel document to allow you to travel by plane or ferry
  • a visa to allow you to enter and stay in another country

If you visit your country of origin, you may have your refugee status taken away. If you are thinking of returning home, make sure you get immigration advice before travelling.

Travel documents

Everybody in the UK needs a valid passport to travel to countries outside the UK. If you do not have a valid national passport, you may need to apply for a 'refugee travel document'.

To apply for any document you must pay a fee, and a professional person must check and sign your photographs to confirm your identity.

You should get an immigration adviser to check your application before you send it.

You can get more information about travel documents, and find out how to apply for one, on the government website.

Not all countries will accept a travel document. Check the Home Office website or get immigration advice before travelling.


You will probably need a visa to enter another country. To find out, check with the embassy of the country you are travelling to.

Different countries have different arrangements for getting a visa. Sometimes you have visit the country's embassy in the UK to get one. Sometimes you can get one by post.

Countries have the right to refuse to give you a visa to enter the country. That means it's very important to look into whether you need, and will be able to get, a visa to travel. You should do this before you book any tickets for your trip.

Seek immigration advice before travelling and booking your tickets.


Button to click to email the LAASLO team

Report it