Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Transporter Bridge Icon


National lockdown: Stay at home. You must not leave your home unless necessary. Find out what you can and cannot do.

Whether you are an asylum seeker, refugee, economic migrant, student, visitor, or Middlesbrough 'born and bred', we value your health. We want to make sure that you are happy and healthy, and there are lots of services available to you.

The National Health Service (NHS) is responsible for most of the health services in this country. Most treatments they provide are free, but you may have to pay for a few things. Find out which things you will have to pay for.

If you are an asylum seeker, Mears should have given you a leaflet which explains the charges for the NHS. You should also have been taken to the Foundations Practice where you can go for all your doctor's appointments. They can also help you find out whether you can get dental treatment, and sight and hearing tests.

Foundations deals specifically with asylum seekers and refugees. They are very friendly and helpful, and they will make sure that you are looked after properly. Once the Home Office has decided on your claim, you can choose to stay a patient with Foundations, or to look for a different GP. You might choose a GP that is closer to your home, for example.

If you are an asylum seeker, you will be allowed to have treatment without needing to pay for it, while the Home Office is considering your claim or your appeal. To get free treatment and free medicine, you need to complete the HC2 form. You can get a copy of the form from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and from pharmacies.

There is also a lot of mental health support available for people in Middlesbrough. The best place to ask for this help is through the Foundations Practice. However, you can also contact Middlesbrough and Stockton MIND for more help.

Alliance Psychological Care is also available to help. You can refer yourself to them, or ask the LAASLO team to refer you.

The Live Well Centre also has a lot of health support groups available that you can join.


If you are pregnant, you may be able to get some help towards supporting your first child. If you are an asylum seeker, Migrant Help can help you apply for a £300 maternity grant. If you are a refugee, Jobcentre Plus can help you to apply for a £500 Sure Start maternity grant. Both of these grants are available when you are 32 weeks pregnant.

Emergency and non-emergency health help

For life-threatening injuries or conditions, you should go to the nearest hospital Accident and Emergency (A&E) department.

You should go to the doctor (often called a GP or general practitioner) if you have a fever, sprain, joint problems, and if you're worried about your mental health. You must contact the doctor's surgery to book an appointment. You can not see a doctor without an appointment.

You can ring 111 if you're worried about a medical concern and want to get advice. You can also get help from NHS 111 online.

You should go to a pharmacy and talk to a pharmacist for things like headaches, sickness, cuts, and bruises.


Button to click to email the LAASLO team

Report it