Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Transporter Bridge Icon

Education and learning English

Restrictions are starting to ease, but you must still remember: Hands. Face. Space. Fresh air. Check the current rules.


We think it is very important that you learn to speak English because it will be much easier for you to feel at home. There are lots of opportunities for you to learn English:

If you have been in the UK for six months or more, then you can also go to Middlesbrough College or Middlesbrough Community Learning Service (MCLS). Please contact them directly to be referred. If you take a course with MCLS, you will get a certificate at the end. If you are a refugee, the Department for Work and Pensions (Jobcentre Plus) will probably also send you here.

Ethnic Minority Achievement Team (EMAT)

In the United Kingdom, children aged between 5 and 16 must go to school. It does not cost money to send your child to school. Contact the Ethnic Minority Achievement Team (EMAT) to make sure your child gets a school place.

If you do have children who go to school, you may be able to apply for free school meals. You can complete a form to request free school meals, or the EMAT team can help you. In some cases, Middlesbrough Council can also help you with transport between your home and school.

You can look at a map of all schools in Middlesbrough to find one close to your home. Places at schools are limited, so there is no guarantee that a place will be available for your child at your nearest school. You can speak to the EMAT team to find out more about school places.

College and university

Middlesbrough College has regular open days, where you can find out more information about the different courses on offer.

If you want to go to university, you may be able to enrol at Teesside University. They have a large range of courses, and also have regular open days where you can get more information.


Button to click to get help from the council