The Electoral Services department is responsible for:
- Compiling and publishing the Register of Electors for the borough of Middlesbrough
- Maintaining and updating the register during the year using the rolling registration procedures
- Maintaining the absent voter lists, e.g. electors who choose to vote by post or through a proxy appointed to vote on their behalf
- Organising, administering and running local elections (ward, parish and mayoral), national elections (parliamentary and European parliamentary), Police and Crime Commissioner elections, and referendums
- Reviews of parish areas and electoral arrangements, and acting as a consultee in other boundary reviews that affect the borough
- Reviews of the polling districts and polling places which define where you vote
The register isn't a static document. From January to September, Electoral Services updates the register using the rolling registration process. We add the names of new applicants, remove the names of electors who have died or moved away, and alter names, for example, where electors have married.
The easiest way to check if you are on the register is to contact us, or you can call into the Reference Library at Central Library and inspect the register.
If you don't appear on the register, or you believe your details are incorrect, please contact us using the details below.
If you move house, we'll need to know your new details - please register your change of address online or alternatively, you can contact Electoral Services for a form.
Each year, usually between July and September, the council delivers a Household Enquiry Form (HEF) to every residential address in the borough. The form is used to confirm who is living at the property and notify us of any changes.
You can respond to the HEF by post, telephone, text message or online. Further information is given on the form.
View the publication of Verification Number.
Electoral Services, Middlesbrough Council, PO Box 503, Town Hall, Middlesbrough, TS1 9FX
Phone: 01642 729771
Office opening hours: 8.30am to 5pm (Monday to Thursday), 8.30am to 4pm (Friday)