Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Icon representing coronavirus

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Public Protection Service update

The risks of coronavirus remain high. To keep everyone safe, please stay cautious. Get the latest information about coronavirus.

The Public Protection Service includes Environmental Health, Environmental Protection, Private Sector Housing (including Selective Landlord Licensing), Trading Standards, and Licensing.

Businesses reopening

As restrictions on the closure of businesses and activities are lifted, subject to ongoing review by the government, it's essential that all businesses and organisations follow COVID-19 secure guidelines.

As part of our ongoing work to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Public Protection Service has been contacting and visiting businesses in Middlesbrough to look at the measures they have in place to keep their staff and customers safe.

For most businesses, we're giving general advice on keeping COVID-19 safe. Where businesses have not assessed the risks of spreading the virus, and do not have suitable and sufficient measures in place to prevent the spread of the virus, we will take appropriate enforcement action. This could include the use of enforcement notices, which will require improvements to be made, or if necessary, the prohibition of an activity.

The COVID-19 secure guidelines are available on the government website, and the Health and Safety Executive has produced template risk-assessment documents.    

For more advice, phone 01642 728272 or email

Selective Landlord Licensing and tenancy support

The Selective Landlord Licensing Team is available to provide advice to landlords and tenants in the Selective Landlord Licensing areas of North Ormesby and Newport. This includes taking applications and supporting landlords over the phone, issuing appropriate notices and licences, carrying out tenancy reference checks, advertising properties on the property guide, responding to reports of anti-social behaviour, and where necessary, commencing legal action for non-compliance with law.

The Selective Landlord Licensing Team can be contacted on 01642 728100.

Private rented accommodation

Our Environmental Protection and Housing Officers are available to give advice and support to residents living in private rented accommodation. Our focus is to support residents, particularly vulnerable people, with concerns like lack of hot water, unsafe gas or electrical systems, or other amenities that are necessary for their safety, health and wellbeing.

Sale of goods and consumer services (Trading Standards)

For questions or complaints about goods or services, visit the Citizens Advice website or call 0808 223 1133.

Noise complaints

Our Environmental Protection Officers will still respond to complaints about noise nuisance. However, we'll be giving priority to cases where the noise nuisance is so bad that it's causing serious detriment or risk to health.

It's important to realise that as people are now staying at home more, daytime noises like barking dogs may be heard more. Unless a noise is having a serious impact on you then it's not likely to meet the legal threshold where we can take enforcement action.

We're asking residents to be mindful of any noise they create while at home, so they don't cause unnecessary disturbance to their neighbours.

If you still feel like you have good reason to make a complaint about noise, please contact Customer Services on 01642 726001 or make a complaint online.

For the latest local updates and information, visit the coronavirus page or like/follow COVID-19 Boro on Facebook or Twitter.

Read the latest advice from Government and Public Health England.

Join the millions already vaccinated