Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Report it

Dangerous wild animal licence

Registration of dangerous wild animals

If you wish to own and keep an animal listed under the Dangerous Wild Animal Act 1976 you'll need a licence from Middlesbrough Council.

The Act does not apply to any dangerous wild animal kept in:

  • a zoo
  • a circus
  • premises licensed as a pet shop
  • a place which is a designated establishment within the meaning of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986

To apply for a licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • own and possess, or propose to own and possess, all of the animals that are to be included on the licence
  • not have been disqualified under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 from keeping any dangerous wild animal

Read the Dangerous Wild Animal Act 1976.

View a list of animals requiring a licence.

How to apply

You can't apply for a dangerous wild animal licence online. For further details, please contact the Environmental Protection team on 01642 728011.

What happens next?

After receiving your completed application and fee, an officer will contact you to arrange an inspection of your premises to ensure that they meet the licence conditions. The inspection will be carried out by a suitably qualified vet, the cost of which will be met by the applicant (this is on top of the licence application fee).

You won't be able to open your business until your registration has been confirmed.

Redress information

In case of dispute or to appeal a decision, please contact the Environmental Protection team on 01642 728011.

Customer complaint

If you're a customer of a licensed/registered premises and wish to complain about the service or products sold, we would advise you to contact the premises in the first instance to resolve the matter.

Trade associations

British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums