Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Report it

Becks and watercourses

Restrictions are easing, but you must still remember: Hands. Face. Space. Fresh air. Get the latest information about coronavirus.

The council is responsible for the maintenance of becks and watercourses, and any direct flooding on council-owned land. We also liaise with the Environment Agency, which has the overall responsibility for flood defences and the management of watercourses.

We cleanse and remove debris from council-owned becks and watercourses three times a year, and will attend to flooded becks and watercourses upon receiving an adverse flood warning from the Environment Agency and the Met Office. Sites will be addressed on a priority basis following this information.


To report a blockage, flood, or an item of debris liable to cause flooding etc., use Report It.

Button linking to the online report form

Alternatively, you can contact:

  • during normal office hours: 01642 726001
  • emergencies out of hours: 01642 726050

Please note, blocked and burst water mains, and sewers are the responsibility of Northumbrian Water.

Join the millions already vaccinated