Dog fouling - the law
Under the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996, it's an offence for any person in charge of a dog to fail to remove the faeces after a dog has defecated on designated land (public open space). Not having a poop scoop or any other means of removing the faeces, or being unaware of the legislation, is not be considered a reasonable excuse.
The offence carries a maximum fine of £1,000, although a fixed penalty fine of £50 may be offered. A dog fouling offence cannot be committed if the person in charge of the dog puts the faeces in a bin on the land or is a registered blind person.
Dog fouling - gated alleys
If you live on a street that has a gated alley, the Act still applies. It is not acceptable for a resident to fail to clear up after their dog(s) if it fouls in the alley, and the owner will still be liable to prosecution or a fixed penalty fine even if the dog is in the alley unaccompanied.
Dog waste bins
Middlesbrough Council provides around 105 dog waste bins across the town.
How to report dog fouling
If you have witnessed dog fouling, or know an area where dog fouling is a problem, you can use Report It to let us know.
To help with our investigation, we need to know as much information as possible. This includes:
- your name, address, contact number/email address
- where the offence occurred
- the address of the dog owner (if known)
- the time of day that the offence usually occurs (if fouling is regular)
- a description of the dog (if the owner is not known)
All information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.
You can also make a report to the dog warden by calling 01642 726001.
Using Report It
- Choose the location you'd like to make a report about, either by locating it on the map or typing in the postcode
- Please note, you aren't able to 'Filter type of issue' as for confidentiality reasons, we don't show the locations of reports about dog concerns
- Once you've found the right location, click 'Next'
- Choose 'Dog Concern' for 'Type of issue'
- Choose 'Dog owner not cleaning up dog foul'
- Give details of your complaint, and attach any photos you have as evidence
- Confirm the address which you selected on the previous page
- Click 'Next'
- Type in or confirm your personal details, or choose to make an anonymous report
- Click 'Submit'