Report it

Highway trees

We maintain approximately 22,000 highway trees, and also any trees within falling distance of the public highway.

A specially trained arboriculture inspector is employed to manage highway trees. This is to ensure a high standard of tree maintenance, which includes periodical inspections of all trees within the borough. The aim of the inspection is to establish the condition of the tree and to ensure it is healthy, safe, and not causing an obstruction or damage to its surroundings, e.g. properties, footpaths, roads etc.

If you wish to request an investigation or action to be taken in relation to trees and arboriculture, please complete the trees and arboriculture form. Please note, a dangerous tree is defined as dead, diseased or dying, and a risk to the public or a property.

If you're making a report outside of business hours (Mon- Fri, 7.30am to 3pm) and you feel it is an unsafe or emergency case, please contact our out of hours service on 01642 726050.

The most common questions about highway trees in Middlesbrough are answered in the council's tree policy.

Request a tree

When you make a request to have a tree planted in the town, you'll need to tell us exactly where you'd like the tree planting, and the reason why.

If you'd like to fund the planting of a tree yourself, costs start from £250. The total cost will depend on the variety of the tree, and includes the maintenance required for 12 months after the tree has been planted. If the tree fails to survive the first 12 months after being planted, we'll replace it free of charge.

If you're unable to pay for the tree yourself, you can make a request that we pay for it. Please note, we're currently unable to fulfil any requests for the planting of trees due to a lack of funding, however your request will be added to a list and considered if funding is available in the future.

Additional things to note:

  • not all locations are suitable for tree planting
  • we no longer grant permission for memorial trees to be planted on our land

Use the online form to request a tree.