A volunteer historical walk leader is needed to help establish a number of historical walks based in Middlesbrough town centre starting this year. We are considering creating themed walks starting in the centre of Middlesbrough looking at the following possible themes:
- modern history
- general history
- Blue Plaques
Skills/experience to be gained
- Health - a great way to get free regular exercise
- Historical knowledge - learn more about the history of Middlesbrough and its historical landmarks
- Environment - help to encourage people to walk in their local area
- Fun and friendship - a sociable activity with a variety of people
- Leading (or supporting) new history walks within the town centre, to appreciate the breadth of history within Middlesbrough under various themes
- Group sizes will fluctuate but will held during the week – walks will vary in distance and time but will be aimed to suit all levels
- Supported by a clear map and script with a route to follow, and potentially a local expert historian on some walks
Experience and skills
- There are no specific skills required, just a willingness to take part and attending short walk leader training session before starting the role
- Ability to read maps and follow directions
Unconfirmed at present, but we expect weekly or fortnightly walks will be held. Times and regularity to be confirmed.
- All volunteers are expected to demonstrate a commitment to the principles of equality of opportunity and fairness of treatment in relation to their volunteer role, and adhere to the council’s Volunteer Policy in carrying out their volunteer role
- All volunteers are expected to respect confidentiality, and the principles and practice of the Data Protection Act 1998
- All volunteers are required to comply with Health and Safety policies and legislation
If you're interested please complete the online expression of interest form.
Where a volunteer is disabled, Middlesbrough Council will make every reasonable effort to supply the necessary aids, equipment or adaptations to enable a volunteer to carry out their role.