Report it

Accidents and incidents at work

Health and Safety Officers investigate complaints about workplaces, accidents, dangerous occurrences and work-related diseases.

Workplace accidents affect employers, employees and members of the public, and they cost the UK economy millions of pounds each year in lost working days and lost productivity, medical treatment, sick pay, insurance claims, compensation and fines.


If you are an employee, try and resolve workplace issues directly with your employer before contacting the council. Most health and safety concerns can be resolved without the need for enforcement.

If your concerns involve a serious breach of health and safety standards, and there is a real risk of injury to employees or members of the public, please contact the Environmental Health Team on 01642 728272 or email


Employers must report accidents, injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences to the Health and Safety Executive by making a RIDDOR report.

If Middlesbrough Council is the enforcing authority for your workplace, the report will be forwarded to the Environmental Health Team and an officer may contact you for further information or to commence an investigation.   Not all reported accidents are investigated. It will depend on the nature and severity of the accident, and the circumstances in which it occurred.

Read more about workplace health and safety.

  • Hazardous road conditions are forecast - we will be out gritting the roads. Please drive cautiously
    1 day 11 hours ago
  • RT @RSGB_NE: Mixing drink or drugs with driving can be fatal. The family of tragic student Lucy Pinder know all too well the dev…
    1 day 12 hours ago
  • Remember loved ones at a memorial service. Teesside Crematorium, Sunday 17 Dec, 3pm. Visit our website for info:
    1 day 14 hours ago