Middlesbrough is an evolving town, perfectly positioned in the heart of the Tees Valley. In addition to our population of 139,500, we attract over 700,000 regular visitors from the surrounding areas of Tees Valley, North Yorkshire and County Durham who shop, work, study and enjoy the leisure attractions Middlesbrough has to offer.
Middlesbrough is changing. A major investment of £500m has seen the creation of over 4000 new jobs, support for new and expanding businesses, the building of 7,000 quality new homes, and rapid growth in learning and leisure opportunities.
We are a forward-thinking council, and we are proud of our successful ongoing developments:
- £160m investment in the redevelopment of Middlehaven which includes improvements to the Transporter Bridge and development of a hub of digital based businesses including the construction of Boho Five
- £0.5m investment into the independent retail and leisure developments of Baker and Bedford Streets
- £21m investment in our new Sports Village and Velodrome which offer world class training facilities
- £12m town centre hotel development
Middlesbrough and its people are ambitious. We put future generations at the heart of what we do, which is why we are continuing with major investment into the town:
- Development of Middlesbrough’s Town Hall is currently underway with its reopening greatly anticipated
- Investment into the construction of Dock Bridge which will improve accessibility to Middlehaven
- Substantial investment into Middlesbrough Rail Station
- A new substantial hotel development
Our people are warm, friendly and extremely proud of their town, its industrial heritage and location close to the natural beauty of surrounding countryside and stunning North East coast. With a vibrant leisure and cultural scene, Middlesbrough likes to work hard and play hard:
- Large scale outdoor events including Magical Middlesbrough seasonal events, live music festivals, and the multi-cultural Mela
- 11 screen cinema
- Independent quarter with micro pubs and unique eateries
- Vibrant restaurant scene.
- Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art (mima), a £14.2 million contemporary art gallery
We are home to first class education facilities which attract learners from across the globe and offer excellent learning opportunities for our people:
- The opening of Middlesbrough College’s £20m STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) training centre
- Teesside University have invested £260m in their campus in Middlesbrough Town Centre
Middlesbrough is changing. We are ambitious and committed to ensuring Middlesbrough’s future generations have a bright future in a thriving town full of opportunity.