During the winter months, this page will be regularly updated with details of when our gritters will be in action, a link to the latest weather forecast, winter driving tips, school closures due to the weather, and other useful information to help you cope with the winter weather.
Middlesbrough has five priority gritting routes totalling 180 miles. View the gritting routes map.
20/11/2018 - no action.
This page isn't updated over the weekend, so for weekend gritting updates, follow us on twitter @mbrocouncil.
None in the past seven days.
There are currently no school closures due to the weather.
You can let us know if a salt bin near you has been stolen or damaged, or is empty.
You can use Report It to report a problem with, or request additional supplies for, a salt bin located near you.
Please note, Report It should only be used for requests relating to salt bins, not for requests to have a particular road added to a gritting route.
Priority 1 and Priority 2 gritting routes are set out in our annual winter maintenance plan. Roads not included on one of those routes will only be gritted 'in the most exceptional circumstances', which will generally be 'in the aftermath of heavy, prolonged snow', and only when Priority 1 and 2 routes are clear.
Key stats for winter 2018/19
- First grit this season - 27/10/2018
- Distance covered per gritting run (five routes) - 180 miles
- Total time to grit all routes - 2 hours
- Number of gritters - 7 (with an additional two new multi-purpose gritting vehicles on order)
- Amount of grit available in 2018/19 - 4,000 tonnes
- Amount of grit used in 2017/18 - 3,500 tonnes
Visit the Met Office Website for a detailed, up to date weather forecast.
Are you ready for winter?
One Planet Middlesbrough has a checklist to ensure you're ready to cope with cold weather.
You can also get further information from NHS Choices on looking after yourself during the winter.
Help for older people
Middlesbrough Staying Put Agency works with hundreds of older and vulnerable clients every year.
Halfords offers a free 15-point safety check for your car.
Visit the RAC for tips on driving safely in the winter.
Essential information about how to protect your property from frozen and burst pipes, and what to do if it happens.
Clearing snow and ice from pavements yourself
Useful advice for anyone clearing snow from pavements or public spaces.
Based on your income and whether you're getting certain benefits, you might be eligible for financial support over the winter:
- Winter Fuel Payment is a payment to help you pay your heating bill
- Cold Weather Payment is a payment for every seven day period of very cold weather
- The Warm Home Discount Scheme offers you a one-off discount on your electricity bill