Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Parking Icon

Vehicle pavement crossing licence

If you wish to make a vehicle crossing between the roadway and your own land within the adopted highway, eg from/to a driveway, you'll need to apply for a vehicle pavement crossing licence. The licence must be obtained prior to any work taking place.


Download the vehicle pavement crossing licence application form.

Application forms should be submitted to: Transport and Infrastructure, PO Box 504, Civic Centre, Middlesbrough, TS1 9FY, or by email to

If you need advice about a vehicle pavement crossing, please call 01642 728156.

View a full list of charges for highway licences.


Please note the following guidance:

  • You or any contractor working on your behalf will require a valid Public Liability Insurance policy to the value of £5,000,000
  • You will indemnify the highway authority in respect of all claims made as a result of the carrying out of the works
  • You will maintain the work to the satisfaction of the council, for a period of 2 years, commencing from the notification of the completed works
  • The works must be completed in accordance with Highway Authority Specifications
  • You must ensure that the relevant notices have been submitted to the streetworks register and ensure that any skip to be placed in the highway also has any necessary licence
  • The road works must be signed, complying with the relevant Traffic Signs Regulations
  • The council acting as the highway authority has the right to complete the works and charge the licence holder in any case of a breach of the above conditions