What is Building Control?
Building regulations dictate the design and construction of buildings as well as the provision of services, fittings and equipment. They are the minimum standards laid down by the government.
Middlesbrough Council's Building Control service oversees the regulations set out in the Building Act 1984 and other relevant building legislation.
- ensures that all building work complies with relevant regulations
- ensures the health and safety of people in and around buildings is maintained
- ensures that the welfare and convenience of people with disabilities are properly catered for
- advises on legislation about conservation of fuel and power
The Guide to Extending Your Home has been produced especially for residents of the Tees Valley and explains the Building Control process.
Further guidance can be found at Home and Build.
Do I need building regulations approval?
Not all building projects need building regulations approval. The Planning Portal website has a useful interactive tool which helps you to find out whether your project needs approval. First, choose your building type (detached house, terrace, or flat and shop), then click the feature you're planning to build or add, for example, solar panels or external lighting. You'll then need to click on the tab called 'building regulations' to get the information you need.
How do I submit an application?
The easiest way to submit a Building Control application to the council is online. Our online forms let you send and pay for your application directly, and when you create an account your details will be saved in case you want to submit more applications in the future.
Make your building control application online now:
- Building notice online application (guidance notes on building notice applications)
- Full plans online application (guidance notes on full plans applications)
- Regularisation online application (guidance notes on regularisation applications)
You can also submit your applications through the Planning Portal website, or Submit-a-Plan website. These are both free services which allow you to submit building regulation applications to us, but you don't have the option to pay for your application online.
Alternatively you can download a printable form:
- Email: email@example.com
P.O Box 504
- In person at the Building Control office. Please visit the Customer Centre at Middlesbrough House.
These were last updated in July 2012. View the publication notice about these changes.
How do I search for an application?
You can use the online tool to search for a building regulation application.
Information on building regulations and associated legislation, energy conservation, design, and conservation areas, can be found on the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) website.
You can also call 01642 729375 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information relating to planning services, including planning applications, enforcement, advice and information call 01642 729377 or email email@example.com.