Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Planning and Housing Icon

Building Control

England is in lockdown. From Wednesday 2 December, lockdown will end and Middlesbrough will move into Tier 3 restrictions.

Building Control will be undertaking site inspections where these are required for all external works, and will be undertaking limited internal inspections with conditions on entry and personal space separation.

You should contact Building Control to discuss booking an appointment, which needs to be booked by 4pm the day before the inspection is required.

Other means of providing evidence-based compliance, instead of a visual inspection by a Building Control surveyor, will still be accepted for internal works, where our site inspection conditions cannot be complied with.

The Civic Centre is closed to members of the public for the foreseeable future. You won't be able to visit the Building Control service in person during this time.

If you need help with Building Control matters, please contact:

Building Control - Technical Support
Phone: 01642 729375

Cover image for the Guide to extending your home

What is Building Control?

Building regulations dictate the design and construction of buildings as well as the provision of services, fittings and equipment. They are the minimum standards laid down by the government.

Middlesbrough Council's Building Control service oversees the regulations set out in the Building Act 1984 and other relevant building legislation.

The department:

  • ensures that all building work complies with relevant regulations
  • ensures the health and safety of people in and around buildings is maintained
  • ensures that the welfare and convenience of people with disabilities are properly catered for
  • advises on legislation about conservation of fuel and power

The Guide to Extending Your Home has been produced especially for residents of the Tees Valley and explains the Building Control process.

Further guidance can be found at Home and Build

Do I need building regulations approval?

Not all building projects need building regulations approval. The Planning Portal website has a useful interactive tool which helps you to find out whether your project needs approval. First, choose your building type (detached house, terrace, or flat and shop), then click the feature you're planning to build or add, for example, solar panels or external lighting. You'll then need to click on the tab called 'building regulations' to get the information you need.

How do I submit an application?

You can submit your applications through the Planning Portal website. This is a free service which allows you to submit building regulation applications to us, but you don't have the option to pay for your application online.

Alternatively you can download a printable Building Regulation application form.

And submit it:


View the Building Regulation charges from 1 April 2020.

These were updated in April 2020. View the publication notice about the new charges.

Discontinued service by an Approved Inspector

If your project has started on site and you have since been informed by your appointed Approved Inspector that they are unable to continue to provide service (for example, because the company no longer holds professional indemnity insurance to operate as an Approved Inspector), then the person undertaking the work / building owner will need to take steps to ensure the development remains lawful.

How do I search for an application?

You can use the online tool to search for a building regulation application.


Information on building regulations and associated legislation, energy conservation, design, and conservation areas, can be found on the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) website.

You can also call 01642 729375 or email

For information relating to planning services, including planning applications, enforcement, advice and information call 01642 729377 or email

Report it