Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Planning and Housing Icon

Development Control

The Development Control service handles planning applications, deals with planning appeals and carries out enforcement work. It also gives advice and information about planning through pre-application meetings.

Pre-application advice

Pre-application advice can be sought if required. You'll need to write to or email Development Control; officers are encouraged not to provide pre-application advice over the phone. Whichever method you use to contact us, please provide comprehensive details of your proposal including all measurements (a rough sketch would be ideal), as well as stating your name, address and a contact number if possible. The Planning Officer dealing with your enquiry will contact you shortly and, if necessary, will arrange an appointment for a site visit and/or pre-application meeting.

Further guidance

Further guidance is available should you require it.

If you have any questions about development control issues, please read our FAQs section. If it doesn't answer your question, please get in touch.


Development Control Service
Phone: 01642 729377
Post: Development Control Service, Middlesbrough Council, Ground floor, Civic Centre, PO Box 504, Middlesbrough, TS1 9FY