Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Planning and Housing Icon

Development Control FAQs

There will be a change to your usual bin collection day on week commencing Monday 30 May, due to the extra Bank Holiday. Our crews will be working between Monday to Thursday and all refuse collections that week will move a day forward. View your bin collection calendar.

View the Building Regulation charges from 1 April 2021. These were updated in April 2021. View the publication notice about the new charges.

Can I meet a Planning Officer to discuss a general planning issue?

If you wish to discuss a general planning issue with a Planning Officer, it's recommended that you telephone the Development Control office beforehand to arrange a meeting. The Development Control office can be contacted by telephone on 01642 729377 or via email to

You can call in to the office and ask to discuss a general planning issue without an appointment, however an officer may not be available to deal with your enquiry at that time. Planning Officers are generally available 9am to 4.30pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4pm on Friday, but it's always best to arrange a meeting in advance.

Can I speak to a Planning Officer by telephone?

You can telephone the Development Control office on 01642 729377 and ask for the Planning Officer you require. Please be aware that officers are encouraged not to provide pre-application advice over the telephone. For this type of advice please email or write to the Development Control office.

Who is the Planning Officer dealing with my planning application?

To find out which Planning Officer is dealing with a specific planning application you can use the planning application search. When you've found the planning application you're looking for, click 'Further Information'. The name of the planning officer will be identified as 'Case Officer'.

Alternatively, you can call the department on 01642 729377.

How do I make an appointment for a personal search / site history?

You can telephone the Development Control office on 01642 729377 or email to make an appointment.

How can I view a current planning application?

Do I need an appointment to view plans?

Arranging a prior appointment with an officer to view plans belonging to current planning applications is recommended, although not essential. Please be aware that if you don't make an appointment, an officer may not be available to deal with your enquiry at that time.

On the other hand, if you wish to view plans relating to planning applications that have already been determined, an appointment is essential as these are not always available to be viewed during normal opening hours.

How do I comment on a planning application?

There are two ways to comment on a planning application.

You can email or write to: Development Control Service, Middlesbrough Council, Ground floor, Civic Centre, PO Box 504, Middlesbrough, TS1 9FY.

Whichever method you choose, please be sure to include your name, address, and contact details, as well as stating your concerns and reasons for supporting or opposing a planning application. Comments should relate to relevant planning issues.

The consultation period for most planning applications is a statutory 3-week period. To cover holidays and unplanned absences etc., the council usually extends the consultation period to 4 weeks.

View guidance on commenting on a planning application.

How do I check the status of a planning application?

All information relating to planning applications, including the application’s status, can be obtained by contacting the Planning Officer dealing with the planning application.

Where can I view Planning Committee agendas and minutes?

Follow the link to view the Planning Committee agendas and minutes.

If I want to speak at a Planning Committee meeting do I have to notify anyone?

Members of the public who wish to speak at Planning Committee meetings will have already been invited to attend by a letter from the Planning Office. You're advised to attend early to give your name to the committee clerk. Those with an interest in the outcome – objectors, applicant/agent, supporters – will be allowed to speak at the committee meeting for 5 minutes, at the chairman’s discretion. If more than one person from each party wishes to speak, the party must elect a spokesperson. Planning Committee meetings are usually held on every third Friday of the month in the Mandela Room of the Town Hall, and begin at 1:30pm.

How can I find out about a decision on a planning application?

You can view the weekly decision list. Alternatively, information relating to all recent planning applications, including the decision, can be obtained by telephoning the Development Control department on 01642 729377.

How do I request a copy of a planning decision notice?

For a copy of a decision notice, email us at, or write to Middlesbrough Council, ground floor, Civic Centre, PO Box 504, Middlesbrough, TS1 9FY. You must enclose a payment (copies will not be issued unless we've got your payment).

Decision notices are available from 2006 to the present via our Public Access system. Search for the relevant application, documents, and decision notice.

How do I obtain copies of old plans?

Due to the copyright restrictions placed on drawings, it's always necessary to get approval from the drawer of the plans. Once you have this, you can write to us with the approval and relevant fee, which depends on the size of the plans.

Trees and hedgerows

For all general information and advice on tree works/removal or hedgerows, please visit the Planning Portal.

If you want to carry out works to a tree or hedgerow in a conservation area you must submit an application form prior to any works taking place. 

How do I obtain a copy of a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or discover whether a tree has a TPO on it?

View a schedule of all Tree Preservation Orders in Middlesbrough. Copies of TPOs are available by emailing There is a charge for a copy of a TPO.

Alternatively, you can email to enquire about TPOs and whether a specific tree has a TPO on it.