Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Planning and Housing Icon

Staying Put Agency

The Staying Put Agency is Middlesbrough's home improvement agency. Since 1991, it has worked with social care and other organisations to help older people, people with disabilities, and those who are vulnerable, to live more independently in their own homes.

Read more about the Staying Put Agency.

Our service

The agency gives advice on repairs, improvements or adaptations to your home, information about financial assistance, and can also offer help to find other sources of funding for assistance.

Read more about the services offered by the Staying Put Agency.

The agency operates the Middlesbrough Mobile Adapt and Mend Service (MMAMS) handyperson scheme which offers essential repairs and adaptations including minor plumbing and joinery repairs, grab rails, stair rails, and half steps.

The agency can also take the worry out of organising house repairs, adaptations or improvements through their private works service. For a small administration fee they will:

  • Visit your home to discuss the work
  • Obtain estimates from contractors
  • Provide advice on practical matters whilst the work is in progress
  • Liaise with builders
  • Inspect the work to ensure it has been carried out to an acceptable standard

The agency is here to ensure that vulnerable, disabled and older owner-occupiers are not victims of unqualified 'cowboy' builders who will carry out sub-standard and unnecessary work. We work in partnership with Cleveland Police and Trading Standards to prevent and catch these people. Read more about what to do if you have problems with your home improvements.


For further details please complete the online enquiry form.

0800 5875184

Staff are available to answer your calls and emails from Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm, and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.

Middlesbrough Staying Put Agency
PO Box 504
Civic Centre

Helpful documents

Damp and condensation fact sheet

Disabled Facilities Grant fact sheet

Keeping your home safe fact sheet

Protect the outside of your home fact sheet

Please note

If you're a social housing tenant you should contact your landlord directly regarding adaptations or major repairs - your landlord is responsible for ensuring your home is kept warm and well insulated in winter.

If you have concerns about anti-social behaviour please contact the Neighbourhood Safety Team.