Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Special Education Needs

Home to school transport FAQs

What kind of travel assistance will be given?

We will contact you in advance to let you know the arrangements we've put in place. If transport is to be provided, your child may be allocated a taxi, minibus, coach, or assistance with a public bus service. This will depend on various factors, like whether existing services have any free space. Depending on your child's need, they may be offered travel assistance, for example a journey plan, refund of fuel costs, or travel training.

What standards are expected of home to school transport contractors and drivers?

Only companies which have qualified on our framework of approved suppliers are allowed to bid for home to school transport contracts. To qualify, they must be able to show that they meet standards for health and safety, financial security, vehicle safety, insurance, and driver regulations. We would only use an operator who was not on our framework in exceptional cases, and only due to the bespoke nature of any requirements.

My child’s transport has changed from other years, why can’t it stay the same?

We make every effort to minimise changes to your child's transport. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee that there will not be any changes, either at the start of the new academic year or throughout the year. These may include passengers joining or leaving the route, varying pick up/drop off times, and staffing.

If the transport is late or does not arrive, what should I do?

We make every effort to minimise any issues, but unfortunately sometimes you might experience unexpected delays or problems.

Please wait until 10 minutes after the scheduled pick up time before contacting us. If the transport has still not arrived, please call the Integrated Transport Unit on 01642 343447.

You may also want to contact us if the transport is repeatedly late. Please email

What if my child leaves something behind on school transport (lost property)?

Contact us and we'll attempt to contact the vehicle operator, so you can speak to them directly and make arrangements to collect the lost property. We do not accept any responsibility for loss or damage to a child's property, and they bring personal items onto transport at their own risk.

Who should I contact if I have any concerns regarding my child's transport?

Please contact the Integrated Transport Unit if you are worried or concerned about any aspect of your child's journey, including the behaviour of other passengers, or the safety or reliability of the vehicle. The sooner we're made aware of a problem, the sooner we can try to fix it.

What happens in the event of a road closure?

We generally get advance warning of scheduled road closures. Where school transport is affected, we may need to organise alternative pick-up/drop-off points with the operator. We would then arrange for parents/carers to be notified of the temporary travel arrangements.

In the event of an emergency, roads may be closed without notice, possibly causing delays to school transport. Please contact the Integrated Transport Unit if you're concerned at any time about the late arrival of your child.

If my child is having difficulties with others on transport, what should I do?

Schools are responsible for the behaviour of their children on the way to and from school, including while travelling on home to school transport. We expect good behaviour at all times on our home to school transport. Please report any incidents to the school or your child's Passenger Assistant in the first instance, then contact the Integrated Transport Unit.

Can friends or parents travel on school transport?

Parents/carers, other family members, and friends who are not eligible for home to school transport are not allowed to travel.

We are not able to permit eligible children to travel other than on their own designated home to school transport.

How do I get a replacement bus pass if my child has lost or damaged his/her pass?

You can request a replacement pass by contacting the Integrated Transport Unit. There may be a £10 administration charge to cover the cost of issuing a duplicate pass.

What do I do if my child does not have a valid bus pass for the current academic year?

From September 2021, your child will not be able to travel if they do not have a valid bus pass for their allocated bus, for the academic year 2021/2022. The deadline for issuing renewal passes has now passed.

All bus pass applications and photos received after 18 August 2021 will be processed as soon as possible. However, due to limited resources within the team, this may not be possible for the start of the September 2021 term.

It is a parent or guardian's legal responsibility to make sure that their child attends school.

New applications or applications where details have changed from previous years will be processed within 6 weeks from us getting the application.

My child no longer needs a bus pass, what do I need to do?

Please contact the Integrated Transport Unit in the first instance. In some cases, an unexpired pass will need to be returned to the Integrated Transport Unit.

We are moving house, will my child still be entitled to free school transport or assistance?

Your child's eligibility will need to be re-assessed from your new address. Please contact the Integrated Transport Unit by emailing, with your new details and the date of any change.