Schools and Education Icon

School transfers

In-year transfer requests are applications for school places outside the usual primary and secondary admissions process, which take place from September.

If you're moving into the Middlesbrough local authority (LA) area, please contact school admissions to apply for a school place.


Sometimes parents may wish to transfer their child to another school for reasons other than moving house. Middlesbrough Council discourages unnecessary transfers between schools. It's vital that a child has consistency in their education. Changing school is a crucial decision to make and may affect your child’s education. Research has shown that in-year moves can be highly disruptive and could affect your child’s future attainment.

If your child is already attending a school in Middlesbrough, you're advised to discuss your reasons for wishing to change schools with your child's current school before completing a transfer request form. It's rare that a transfer to another school resolves a child's difficulties, which are best addressed at the child's current school.

Once you've considered the above information, and have discussed and attempted to resolve issues with the current school, if you still wish to proceed with a transfer request, please contact us for advice regarding the submission of a written request for a change of school.

The request must be countersigned by the current school and returned to the address indicated on the transfer form.

Admissions criteria

When a transfer involves admission to a community school, the council will consider the request on its merits. Priority for admission will be given to pupils who meet the admissions criteria of the school concerned. The criteria are set out in the Primary and Secondary Education in Middlesbrough document.

The own admission authority schools in Middlesbrough are Roman Catholic schools, academies, and foundation schools. A request for a transfer to a school which is its own admission authority must be made to the council, which will then send it to the relevant school. The school concerned will make the decision.

If you request a transfer to a school which is full and a place is refused, you have the right to appeal the decision.

If a child is not on a school roll and is unable to obtain a school place through normal admissions procedures, the Local Authorities Fair Access Protocol may apply. Click here to read more about the Fair Access Protocol.

Please note that transfer application requests will be put on hold during school holidays. Applications will only be sent to schools when staff are available to consider them.