Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Paying for residential and nursing care

Paying for residential and nursing care

If you're moving into a residential or nursing care home, you might be worried about the cost. Depending on your financial circumstances, the council may be able to help. We'll work out the total cost of the care you need, and then look at your financial situation to work out how much you should contribute towards the cost.

The council uses the Department of Health national guidelines on charging for residential care.

Your income

We'll look at your income, including pension or wages, Pension Credit, Income Support and any extra benefits you may be entitled to claim. We don't count Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance as part of your income.

Your savings

We'll also ask you about any savings you have. If you have more than £23,250, you'll have to pay the full cost of your stay in the home, other than any nursing care covered by the NHS. If you have less than £14,250, your savings will be ignored when we work out your contribution.

If you have savings of between £14,250 and £23,250, you'll have to pay £1 for every £250 in your savings.

Your house

If you own your home, we may need to take its value into account in working out your contribution. We won't count the value of your home if any of the following apply:

  • your husband, wife or partner will continue to live there

  • a relative aged 60 or over will continue to live there

  • a relative under 60 who receives certain disability allowances will continue to live there

  • a child under 16 for whom you are financially responsible will continue to live there

  • other special circumstances

Nursing care and other costs while you are a resident

Nursing care is treated differently to other care or services you might receive in a residential or nursing home, and the NHS will pay a fixed amount towards this. You'll still have to pay a contribution towards the costs of other care services and accommodation in the care home.


If you'd like help or advice, please contact:

Social Services
Financial Assessment Team
Phone: 01642 729293 / 729592