Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Social Care and Support Icon

Sensory Support Service

The risks of coronavirus remain high. To keep everyone safe, please stay cautious. Get the latest information about coronavirus.

The Sensory Support Service offers advice and support to Middlesbrough residents who have the following:

  • Hearing loss
  • Sight loss
  • Dual sensory loss / deafblind

Visual impairment

If you feel your eyesight is deteriorating, speak to your optician who can investigate and if necessary refer you to an ophthalmologist at the hospital Eye Department for further treatment.

Hearing impairment

If you feel your hearing is deteriorating, speak to your GP who can investigate and if necessary refer you to an audiologist for further treatment.

How social care can help

Information, advice and services can be discussed with you to identify what help you need to live as independently as possible.

There are a range of organisations, both local and national, which provide valuable resources for those with sensory loss. You can find their details on Middlesbrough Matters.

To support independent living through mobility, daily living and communication, you may be eligible for:

  • Low vision equipment/aids for visual loss, hearing loss and dual sensory loss
  • Mobility rehabilitation
  • Registration of your Certificate of Visual Impairment
  • Benefits and concessions you may be entitled to due to sensory loss
  • Support from Blind Veterans UK

Certificate of Visual Impairment and registration

A Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI), previously known as a BD8, is issued by a hospital ophthalmologist. This happens when your sight loss is defined as being either sight impaired (partially sighted) or severely sight impaired (blind).

The social care service receives a copy of the CVI from the ophthalmologist and will then contact you to ask if you wish to be registered with the local authority, and to discuss the support you feel would be beneficial, as well as the next steps to take.


If you're experiencing a sensory impairment which is impacting your independence and daily life, please contact:

Sensory Support Service
Phone: 01642 065070
​Minicom: 01642 726980
Text only mobile: 07917 212 564