Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Social Care and Support Icon

Home care agencies

Care homes provide food, accommodation and personal care, and you would usually have your own bedroom with en-suite bathroom and toilet.

Homes are registered according to the needs of the people using them for example, nursing care, dementia care, personal care, mental health support, or learning disability support.

Some care homes offer short-term places, for example for people recovering from a hospital stay or for respite care.

The homes are run by a variety of organisations, including private firms, voluntary sector organisations and local councils. They are regulated in England by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC will visit the home and write a report which will be published on its website. The CQC rates services according to how safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led they are, using four levels which are Outstanding, Good, Requires Improvement and Inadequate. On occasion some CQC registered services may show either no rating, service under appeal or rating suspended.

You can also use the Yellow Pages and classified adverts in local papers to find agencies. Make sure you check what services they offer and how much they charge, as charges vary depending on the type of care required. Personal care is sometimes more expensive because the carers require additional training.

There are a number of preferred personal home care agencies which Middlesbrough Council has a contract with. You can find more information in the personal home care booklet.

Please note that the information about these organisations is provided for your convenience and doesn't imply the council's endorsement of them. The council is not responsible for the accuracy of the information, or for the actions of these organisations.

The CQC star rating and latest inspection report for all agencies can be found by visiting the Care Quality Commission website.