Financial inclusion is defined as 'access to appropriate financial products or services which give people the opportunity, ability and confidence to make informed decisions about their financial situation or organise their money effectively'.
In order to achieve financial inclusion in Middlesbrough, partners are working together to ensure that:
- people have access to readily available and free money / debt advice
- work is carried out to tackle fuel poverty
- people’s knowledge and understanding of the different financial products and their merits is improved
- people have access to bank accounts and use such accounts to best effect
- people have access to sources of affordable credit
- people understand the value of saving and are helped to develop saving habits