What if I don't pay my Council Tax?
If you don't pay the amount you owe within seven days of your payment due date, we'll send you a reminder. The reminder will tell you the date you must make a payment by to prevent any further recovery action being taken. You'll need to pay your next due instalment on its due date as per your last bill.
What if I don't pay after I get a reminder?
If you don't pay by the due date on your reminder, we'll send you a summons which will ask you to pay the full year's Council Tax charge. The summons will be sent seven days after the due date on your reminder.
Additional costs will be added to your account.
What if I don't pay after I get a summons?
If you receive a summons and you can't pay the balance in full, we can arrange repayments which suit your financial circumstances. To discuss this, please contact Revenues and Benefits Services on 01642 726006 (10am to 4pm).
If you still don't pay, we can:
- pass your case to an enforcement agent (a bailiff)
- take repayments directly from your wages using an 'attachment of earnings order'
- take money from your Universal Credit, Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, or Guaranteed Pension Credit
- make an application against you for bankruptcy or a charging order
If you still don't pay, you risk a prison sentence.
Getting a phone call about your Council Tax debt
We've started using a new phone service to contact customers who have a Council Tax debt.
If you're called by the new phone service, your call will come from 01642 843027 or 01642 843077.
You cannot use this number to get in touch with us. You can contact us about benefits, Council Tax, and Business Rates by calling 01642 726006.
Is this a scam?
No. If you get a call from 01642843027 or 01642843077 then it is not a scam.
- If you get a phone call, you will be asked to press 1 to speak to a caseworker at Middlesbrough Council.
- If you get a voicemail, you will be given a number to call to speak to a caseworker at Middlesbrough Council.
- If you get a text message, you will be given a number to call to speak to a caseworker at Middlesbrough Council.
You will not be asked to give any personal information before you press 1, or phone the number, to speak to a caseworker.