Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Benefits and Council Tax Icon

All forms and frequently asked questions

Help to upload supporting documents

How to scan or photograph supporting documents

The best way for you to upload supporting documents is to scan them using a scanner. If you do this then please save as a .pdf document.

You can also use the camera on your tablet or smartphone to photograph documents and then upload them to the form.

Please do not merge all your documents into one file.

File size

You will not be able to upload files larger than 2MB. Please keep documents small so they upload faster.

File format

We can accept electronic copies of documents in the following formats: .doc; .docx; .rtf; .pdf; .jpg; .gif; .png

Please note - Even if you upload copies of your documents, we'll still need to see original identification and National Insurance number evidence before we process your claim. Please call into the Customer Centre at Middlesbrough House to provide this. Do not send original documents through the post.

What if I don't have access to a printer?

Most forms can be completed online. However the following forms will need to be printed and either signed or stamped. 

  • childcare costs form
  • employers earnings certificate
  • landlord declaration form
  • second property form
  • shared room exemption

If you can't print the forms we need to help us work out your claim, you can contact us on 01642 726006 (10am to 4pm) and ask for a form to be sent to you.

How do I return paper forms that I've completed?

You can scan copies of your completed forms and upload them, or if you don't have access to a scanner you can take a photo of the form and upload it.

Please use the online upload form to send us your completed forms.

What will happen after I submit the form?

Providing all relevant information has been provided and your forms have been fully completed, we'll assess your claim and your entitlement letters will be sent to you in due course. We will contact you if we need any further information to support your claim.

What happens if I don't pay my Council Tax or repay my Housing Benefit overpayment?

You will be issued with a reminder. If you ignore repeated requests for payment, we will take action to recover the amount owed from you. Read more about failing to pay Council Tax and failing to repay Housing Benefit overpayment.

What is benefit fraud?

Benefit fraud is claiming benefits you aren't entitled to. Read more about benefit fraud.

What happens if I think someone is committing benefit fraud?

You can report your concerns to the National Benefit Fraud Hotline by phone, email or post. Read more about reporting benefit fraud.

How we use your information - Privacy Notice

We will use the information you give to us here to help work out how much you will be paid.

When the law allows, we may share the information you provide with other agencies or organisations:

  • To check that it's correct
  • To help prevent and detect crime
  • To assist audit and debt recovery

We may share your with agencies in the public sector eg other council departments, other councils; the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs (HMRC) and the police; and agencies in the private sector eg credit reference agencies.

Middlesbrough Council is the Data Controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998. You have the right to request a copy of the information we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information please email us at or call 01642 729815. There will be a small charge for this service. Read more about how Middlesbrough Council protects your data.