Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Benefits and Council Tax Icon

ID requirements

✵ Christmas is coming! Don't miss the Magical Middlesbrough parade this Sunday from 1pm. ✵

On completing a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, you and any partner living in your household will need to provide the following:

  • Proof of your identity, and any partner's identity
  • Proof of your National Insurance number, and any partner's National Insurance number

Original identity and National Insurance number evidence must be provided to us in person. Please don't send us original documents through the post. We use ultraviolet scanners to check that documents are the originals and haven't been altered.

You'll also need to provide evidence (scanned copies or digital photos taken on your mobile or tablet) of the following:


Please provide your current tenancy agreement.

Attach your tenancy agreement to the form below:

Do you rent your home from a private landlord or a housing association?


Please provide consecutive payslips - five if you're paid weekly, three if you're paid fortnightly, or two if you're paid monthly.

Attach the payslips to the form below:

Are you working?


If you're self-employed, please send your last profit and loss accounts.

If you don't have these accounts, please state your annual income and expenditure for your business.

If you've just become self-employed, please state what you expect your income and expenditure details to be for the first 13 weeks of trading.

Attach the evidence to the form below:

Are you self employed?

Personal / work pensions

Please provide your latest pension slip.

Attach your evidence to the document upload form

Social security benefits / Tax credits

Please provide state benefit and Tax Credit award letters showing the current rate of benefit you receive.

If these aren't available, it may be possible for the council to verify your entitlement directly with the Department for Work and Pensions and/or the Tax Credit office.

Attach your evidence to the document upload form


Do you or your partner have savings and capital of more than £6,000 (£10,000 if you're a pensioner)? If yes please provide your last 2 monthly bank statements for each account you have, and proof of any shares or investments you have.

We need to see proof of all your savings including current saving accounts in banks/building societies, investment accounts, stocks and shares, premium bonds, TESSAs, ISAs, etc. You must provide your last two monthly bank statements or up to date passbooks for each account.

You'll also need to provide evidence of the value of any property or other assets.

Attach your evidence to the document upload form

Alternatively, you can bring this information in with you when you call in to sign your form.

Please note, if you have £16,000 or more in savings/capital you aren't eligible for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, unless you're awarded the guarantee element of Pension Credit.