The Community Support Scheme (CSS) is divided into two separate awards: Crisis Awards and Community Support Awards.
We do not make cash payments. If you're eligible for help from the Community Support Scheme, you'll get vouchers or access to items and products. Any award values are at our discretion.
For both Crisis Awards and Community Support Awards the applicant must be:
- aged 16 or over
- resident in the Middlesbrough local authority or moving into the Middlesbrough local authority following a stay in supported or temporary accommodation
- without sufficient resources to meet their short-term needs or those of their family
Please note that awards will not be made to cover the following:
- if you've lost your money
- if you're not responsible for paying rent or Council Tax in your own right (for example, if you live with your parents, you're 'sofa-surfing', or you have no permanent address)
- if your benefit has been sanctioned by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - but we may be able to help with a referral to a local foodbank
- if you've spent your money before your next payment is due
- you're not classed as resident by the DWP
- if you can apply for other income which may be available to you straight away
For further details please see the Community Support Scheme policy.