Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Certificate Icon

Tell Us Once

There will be a change to your usual bin collection day on week commencing Monday 30 May, due to the extra Bank Holiday. Our crews will be working between Monday to Thursday and all refuse collections that week will move a day forward. View your bin collection calendar.

When someone dies there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you feel least like doing them, for example contacting the government departments and council services which need to be informed told about the death.

Middlesbrough Council provides a service called Tell Us Once, to save time and make things easier for you. Tell Us Once will notify a number of different organisations and departments about the death, so you don't have to.

Following the registration of a death, the Registrar will give you a unique reference number to use the Tell Us Once service online or by phone.

Before you use Tell Us Once

You’ll need the following details of the person who died:

  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • driving licence number
  • vehicle registration number
  • passport number
  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, for example State Pension
  • details of any local council services they were getting, for example Blue Badge
  • the name and address of their next of kin
  • the name and address of any surviving spouse or civil partner
  • the name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their 'executor' or 'administrator'
  • details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying in to

Who will Tell Us Once notify?

Using Tell Us Once will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with personal tax (you need to contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits
  • Passport Office - to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence
  • the council - to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services, and remove the person from the electoral register
  • public sector or armed forces pension schemes - to stop pension payments

You'll be offered the service when you contact the Register Office to register a death. More information is available in the Tell Us Once leaflet.