There are delays to bin collections in some areas. What to do if your bin was missed

Home chevron_right Council Tax chevron_right Council Tax discounts

Council Tax discounts

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to get a Council Tax discount, which will reduce the amount you have to pay.

Discounts available

Single people


Full Council Tax is charged where two or more adults live in a property. If only one person lives in a property, a 25% rebate is given. This is called a 'single person discount'. You can apply for single person discount whether you live alone or with children, as long as they're under 18.

You can apply for single person discount online using your Council Tax account.

A guide is available to help you apply for a single person discount. A help guide is also available to help you cancel a single person discount.

In addition, some people are not counted in the number of adult residents. If, after discounting a person, the number of adult residents is only one, a 25% rebate is given. If all the residents are discounted, a 50% rebate is given.

Please note, single person discount is not available for properties which are empty.



A 50% reduction will apply (in addition to any discounts or levy) for people living in annexes who are relatives of the person liable for Council Tax on the main dwelling and for people who are using an annexe as part of their main residence.

You can apply by filling in the general enquiry form. Please say which discount you're applying for, and upload any supporting evidence.

Students and young people

  • 18 or 19 year olds you're claiming child benefit for
  • Students under 20 in further education, on recognised courses (for example, A-level, BTEC)
  • 18 or 19 year olds who left school or college after 30 April, for the period between the end of their course and the following 1 November
  • Full-time students or student nurses
  • Youth training trainees and apprentices
  • Non-British spouses of full-time students

Older people and disabled people

  • People who live with and care for a disabled person who is not their spouse, partner or child under 18
  • People living in residential care homes, nursing homes or mental health nursing homes
  • Long-term patients in hospital
  • People who are severely mentally impaired and receive certain benefits (see 'Severe mental impairment discount/exemption' below)

Disabled banding reduction

If you have a disabled person of any age living in your household, you may be able to get a reduction in your Council Tax through disabled band reduction.

Disabled band reduction can be awarded if the property has been suitably adapted or built to cater for the wellbeing of the disabled person, and the property meets one or more of the following criteria:

  • a) a room which is required for the needs of the disabled person and is mainly used by that disabled person (please note, there has to be a 'causal' link between the disability and the use of the room)
  • b) a second bathroom or kitchen, required for meeting the needs of the disabled person
  • c) extra space inside the property to allow for wheelchair access or movement

If you qualify, the amount your Council Tax will be reduced by is equivalent to your property being moved from its current band, to the next lowest valuation band. For example, if your property is currently in band C, it will be reduced to band B, and your new bill will show a band B charge. Find out about the charges for each band.

If your property is in band A, this is the lowest band and therefore can't be reduced any more. Instead, you'll get a reduction of 1/6 on your annual Council Tax charge.

For example, based on 2018/19 charges:

  • The band A annual charge is £1245.41
  • 1/6th of this is £207.56
  • So the annual charge will be £1037.85

(£1245.41 - £207.56 = £1037.85)

People with a severe mental impairment


A Council Tax bill is based on two adults living in a property. If one of the adults is severely mentally impaired, a 25% discount on Council Tax payments may be awarded. When a person with a severe mental impairment lives in a property on their own, they get an 100% exemption from Council Tax, which means they would have nothing to pay.

The definition of severe mental impairment is:

'Severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent.'

Examples of severe mental impairment include dementia, severe memory loss, a learning disability, a chronic mental illness, Parkinson's, or having suffered a stroke.

To get this discount, you need to get a letter from your doctor to confirm that the condition is permanent. You must also be entitled to one of the following qualifying benefits:

  • ESA/Incapacity Benefit - at higher long term rate only
  • Attendance Allowance at higher or lower rate
  • Care Component of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment at the higher or middle rate
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at one of the four rates payable under disablement benefit or war disablement person
  • Unemployment Supplement Payment as an increase to Disablement Benefit
  • Unemployability Allowance payable with War Disablement Pension
  • Disability Working Pension
  • Income Support with the additional condition of paragraph 2 to Income Support General Regulations 1987

To apply for the severe mental impairment discount/exemption, you'll need to complete the online application form. You'll need to fill in the required sections, and upload the proof from your doctor that you have a severe mental impairment which is permanent.

If you can't complete the online form, you can contact us on 01642 726006 and ask for a paper form to be sent to you. You'll still need to complete the form and send back to us.

Our phone lines are open Monday and Wednesday (10am to 4:30pm), and Friday (10am to 4pm). They are closed on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

What happens if my circumstances change?

We regularly check to make sure that residents are actually entitled to the benefits they're claiming.

Claiming a Council Tax discount which you're not entitled to is illegal and you may be prosecuted. You'll also have to repay any discount you've received.

If you're no longer entitled to the discount you're claiming, you must end it as soon as possible.