Home chevron_right Crime and safety chevron_right Prevent chevron_right Travel to conflict zones

Travel to conflict zones

The threat from terrorism in the UK, related to conflicts abroad, is of great concern. So too is the number of people being radicalised or drawn into terrorist-related activities at home and abroad.

Communities and families are asked to contact the police about anyone they feel may be vulnerable.

Call the police on 101 if you:

  • are concerned about someone travelling to, or returning from, a conflict zone
  • are worried about someone showing signs of being radicalised
  • would like support or advice on radicalisation or terrorist-related activities

Trust your instincts and help prevent tragedies.

Communities defeat terrorism


You can help the police tackle terrorism and save lives by reporting suspicious behaviour and activity online.

Left behind


Useful links


Cleveland Police website.
Alternatively, local police force contact details can be obtained by region through the Police.UK website

GOV.UK travel advice: latest travel advice by country including safety and security, entry requirements, travel warnings, and health

GOV.UK travel industry guidance: 'run, hide and tell' advice for travel industry and holiday makers

Get help if you're worried about someone being radicalised - official Prevent advice from the Home Office

ACT Early - official counter-terrorism policing website

Make a referral

If you're a professional who's worried about a young person or vulnerable adult at risk of being radicalised, use the professionals Prevent referral form.

If you're worried that a friend or family member is at risk of being radicalised, you can make a Prevent referral on the Cleveland Police website.

You can also call Middlesbrough Council's safeguarding team (for both young people and adults) on 01642 726004, or Cleveland Police on 101.

In an emergency, always call 999.