European Parliamentary elections
The European Parliamentary elections are scheduled to take place on Thursday 23 May 2019.
The dates you need to know for this election are:
- the deadline for registering to vote at these elections is midnight on Tuesday 7 May 2019
- the deadline to apply for a postal vote, or change a current postal vote is 5pm on Wednesday 8 May 2019
- the deadline to apply to vote by proxy (where someone else votes on your behalf) is 5pm on Wednesday 15 May 2019
For more information, contact Electoral Services on 01642 729772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes about the European Parliamentary election
If you're a European Union (EU) citizen, but not a citizen of the UK, Republic of Ireland, Malta, or Cyprus, you can choose to vote in either your home country or in the UK at a European Parliamentary election. To vote in the UK, you must have completed two registrations:
- Firstly you need to be registered to vote as a local government elector. If you're not sure whether you're registered, you can call us on 01642 729772 to check. If you know that you're not registered, you can register to vote on GOV.UK. The deadline to register is Tuesday 7 May 2019.
- Secondly, you must also send a completed 'European Parliament voter registration form' to the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) by Tuesday 7 May 2019. A letter, containing this form and more information, will be posted to all affected EU citizens who are registered as local government electors in Middlesbrough. Alternatively, the form and information can be downloaded from the Your Vote Matters website.
Standing as a candidate
Sunderland's Returning Officer is the Regional Returning Officer for the North East region at European Parliamentary elections. If you have any queries about the nomination process or want to submit nomination papers, please get in touch with Electoral Services at Sunderland Council by calling 0191 561 1144 or emailing email@example.com. The deadline to submit nominations is no later than 4pm on Thursday 25 April 2019.