Notice of Casual Vacancy
Notice is hereby given under Section 87(2) of the Local Government Act 1972 that a casual vacancy exists for the office of Councillor for the Coulby Newham Ward in Middlesbrough.
Requesting a by-election
A by-election is held when two local government electors within Middlesbrough give notice in writing to the proper officer of the authority that a by-election should take place.
Holding a by-election
On receipt of a request to fill the casual vacancy, the Returning Officer will set a date for an election to be held within 35 working days. Requests for a by-election regarding this casual vacancy should be submitted to the Proper Officer, Town Hall, PO Box 503 Middlesbrough, TS1 9FX
Coulby Newham by-election 2020
On Thursday 20 February 2020, a by-election will take place in the Coulby Newham Ward to fill a casual vacancy.
What happens when?
There are several key dates and deadlines that you'll need to be aware of leading up to elections i.e.
- Notice of election - Thursday 16 January 2020
- Nominations open - 10am, Friday 17 January 2020
- Candidate briefing (Town Hall) - 10am, Friday 17 January 2020
- Deadline for nominations - 4pm, Friday 24 January 2020
- Last date for registration - Tuesday 4 February 2020
- Postal vote application deadline - 5pm, Wednesday 5 February 2020
- View the Notice of Poll (PDF)
- Proxy vote application deadline - 5pm, Wednesday 12 February 2020
- Polling day - Thursday 20 February 2020
Further detail will be provided nearer to election time, but for general information on the role of a councillor or standing for election please see the following links;