Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Report it

Accidents at work

✵ Christmas is coming! Don't miss the Magical Middlesbrough parade this Sunday from 1pm. ✵

Workplace accidents affect employers, employees, and members of the public. They cost the UK economy millions of pounds each year in lost working days and lost productivity, medical treatment, sick pay, insurance claims, compensation, and fines.

Health and safety officers investigate complaints about workplaces, accidents, dangerous occurrences, and work-related diseases.


If you're an employee, speak to your employer about the problem before contacting us. Most health and safety issues can be resolved without the need for enforcement action.

If the issue is a serious breach of health and safety standards, and there is a real risk of injury to employees or members of the public, get in touch with us. You can contact the Environmental Health team by calling 01642 728272 or email


Employers must report accidents, injuries, diseases, and dangerous occurrences to the Health and Safety Executive by making a RIDDOR report.

If Middlesbrough Council is the enforcing authority for your workplace, the report will be forwarded to our Environmental Health team. An officer may contact you for more information or to begin an investigation. Not all reported accidents are investigated - it will depend on the nature and seriousness of the accident, and the circumstances in which it occurred.

You can read more about health and safety at work on GOV.UK and workers' health and safety on the Health and Safety Executive website.