Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Dogs Icon

Dangerous dogs

The risks of coronavirus remain high. To keep everyone safe, please stay cautious. Get the latest information about coronavirus.

The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 bans the ownership, breeding, sale (both national and international) and exchange of certain types of fighting dogs. The ban currently covers purebreds and crossbreeds with the same physical and behavioural characteristics as the Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, and Fila Brasileiro.

The maximum fine for having a banned dog is £5000 and/or 6 months in prison. The dog may also be destroyed.

The Act also applies to all dogs which are dangerously out of control in any public space, as well as on all private properties.

If your dog behaves aggressively towards any member of the public while in a public space, or to a lawful visitor or even trespassers in your garden or private outdoor space, it is committing an offence. If a dog acts in a way which makes a person fear they will be attacked, it may also be seen as an offence.

If your dog behaves aggressively towards, or attacks, a person gaining unlawful access to your private property (the actual building only, not the garden or grounds), this is not an offence.

The maximum fine is £5000 and/or 6 months in prison. The dog may also be destroyed.

A police officer or dog warden may seize a banned dog or a dog that is dangerously out of control.


You can let us know about a dangerous dog using Report It.

Button linking to the online report form

Alternatively, you can contact the police on 01642 326326 or the dog warden service on 01642 726001. The court can also issue a warrant for the police to enter a building and seize a dog.

Using Report It

  • Choose the location you'd like to make a report about, either by locating it on the map or typing in the postcode
  • Please note, you aren't able to 'Filter type of issue' as for confidentiality reasons, we don't show the locations of reports about dog concerns
  • Once you've found the right location, click 'Next'
  • Choose 'Dog Concerns' for 'Type of issue'
  • Choose 'Dangerous Dog'
  • If the dog has attacked a person or is currently acting aggressively, please report this to the police immediately
  • Give details of your complaint, and attach any photos you have as evidence
  • Confirm the address which you selected on the previous page
  • Click 'Next'
  • Type in or confirm your personal details, or choose to make an anonymous report
  • Click 'Submit'

Join the millions already vaccinated