Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Report it

Housing concerns

✵ Christmas is coming! Don't miss the Magical Middlesbrough parade this Sunday from 1pm. ✵

A property you live in


You can report disrepair in your rented house, if you've already reported the problem to your landlord, and they haven't fixed the issue in a reasonable amount of time.

For tenants of private landlords and Housing Associations, we'll usually expect you to have made your landlord aware of the disrepair in writing before you make a complaint to us, or if your property is provided by a Housing Association, you've already used their complaints procedure.

Citizens Advice explains some common types of disrepair.

Illegal eviction

You can tell us if you've been evicted from privately rented accommodation and you think the eviction was unlawful. Shelter has information about what counts as an unlawful eviction.

If you're going to be evicted in the near future, you can get advice from Middlesbrough Council's Housing Solutions team by calling 01642 726800 or visit the Housing Solutions section.​

Insecure properties

Properties which are unoccupied or vacant and are insecure can become a danger to public health. When an insecure property is reported to us, we'll contact the owner and tell them to make the property secure.

If the property is not made secure, we have the power to require works to be carried out to prevent unauthorised entry.

For us to take action, the property must have openings of sufficient size that a person could gain unlawful access. Small openings and broken glazing would not be considered as causing the property to be insecure.

How to report

You can report a number of housing concerns online using Report It.

When you make the report, please describe the issue in as much detail as you can. Depending on the issue you're reporting, it might include details of any other agencies you've reported the issue to, the date the issue occurred or was discovered, or details about the landlord, individual(s), or premise you feel is responsible for the issue.

Button linking to the online report form

Using Report It

  • Choose the location you'd like to make a report about, either by locating it on the map or typing in the postcode
  • Please note, you aren't able to 'Filter type of issue' as for confidentiality reasons, we don't show the locations of reports about housing concerns
  • Once you've found the right location, click 'Next'
  • Choose 'Housing Concern' for 'Type of issue'
  • Choose all those which apply from the following options:
    • Eyesore properties and overgrown gardens
    • Housing disrepair
    • Illegal eviction
    • Open / insecure property
  • Give details of your complaint, and attach any photos you have as evidence
  • Confirm the address which you selected on the previous page
  • Click 'Next'
  • Type in or confirm your personal details, or choose to make an anonymous report
  • Click 'Submit'