Who are we and what do we do?
The role of the Alternative Education Team is focused on supporting schools, pupils and families to prevent permanent exclusion, supporting pupils educated in Alternative Education settings and to ensure access to education for permanently excluded pupils.
What type of personal data do we collect and how do we collect it?
We may collect the following types of Personal Data
- Date of birth
- Address (current and previous)
- School or nursery (current and previous)
- Education attainment levels
- Details of periods if a child was or is ‘in care’ i.e. looked after by a Local Authority and details of adoption or Special Guardianship Orders and names of social workers involved.
- Details of extended families or other appropriate persons
- Details of welfare or safeguarding risks or concerns from professionals such as school staff, social workers or doctors etc.
- School Attendance & Behaviour history
- Special Educational Needs
- SEN and/or behaviour support plans
- English language proficiency
Guardian or Parents data
- Relationship to child
- Address history
- Email address
- Contact telephone numbers
- Nationality and status e.g. UK citizen, EU citizen, temporary visitor such as student or employment, asylum seeker.
- Language spoken and if interpreter would be required to enable communication
We may collect your Personal Data in a number of ways, for example
- Information shared from schools and nurseries.
- Information shared from other Middlesbrough Council service areas
- Information shared from other Local Authorities
- Information you share directly with us either via telephone, in person or via email
- Information from other appropriate agencies on case by case basis
How the Law allows us to use your personal data
Processing of this data is necessary for the performance of our public tasks carried out in the public interest.
What is your personal data used for?
Your personal information and that of your child will be used for:
- To support you and your child’s in assessing their educational needs.
- To support access to appropriate education arrangements for your child
- To provide you with our services and to develop and improve those services
- To ensure the information we hold is kept up to date
- To help investigate any worries or complaints you may have about our service
- To contact you with surveys, which will be optional, to ask you about the level and quality of service we provide
Will your personal data be shared?
Your personal information and that of your child will be shared with:
- Your child’s current or previous school
- Your child’s allocated (new) school or Alternative Education Provider
- Other Local Authorities where education arrangements are accessed
- The Department for Education
- The NHS, School Health
- Other council services or agencies for example for the purposes of Safeguarding
- The Police ( if they request information relating to the prevention or detection of crime or fraud)
How do we keep your personal data secure?
The security of your personal information is important to us. This is why we follow a range of security policies and procedures to control and safeguard access to and use of your personal information.
How long will we keep your personal data?
The retention periods for this service are as follows.
- Children Missing From Education : Until the child is beyond statutory school age
- Appeals: Until child’s 25th birthday
Is your personal data processed overseas?
We do not send your personal information outside of the European Economic Area to be processed.
At no time will your information be passed to organisations external to us and our partners for marketing or sales purposes or for any commercial use without your prior express consent.
What are your information rights?
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information contact
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, you should raise your concern with us in the first instance or directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
Contact: If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact
Data Protection Officer
PO Box 500 Middlesbrough TS1 9FT
T 01642 245432