Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Pay Icon

Claiming benefits

Every year, more than £10 billion in benefits and tax credits goes unclaimed. The benefits system can be complicated, but it's important that you get all the benefits you're entitled to.

Online benefit calculator

You can use an online benefits calculator to check your benefit entitlement. It will ask you to fill in details of your income and other information, like whether or not you're disabled, or have children. You don't have to fill in your name or any personal details, and your calculation will be anonymous and confidential.

Please note, the results are only an indication of the benefits you could be eligible for.

Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is provided by the council. If you're eligible, the amount of Council Tax you have to pay will be reduced so you can afford to pay it. For more information, visit the Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction section.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit to help with your living costs. It's paid by the government. Find out more about Universal Credit on GOV.UK.

Benefits if you're out of work or off sick

You could be entitled to benefits if you're looking for a new job, are out of work, or have been made redundant. Find out more about benefits if you're looking for work on GOV.UK.

You could be entitled to benefits if you're unable to work because of sickness. Find out more about benefits if you're unable to work on GOV.UK.

Help with heating bills

You could get a discount on your electricity bill over the winter as part of the warm home discount scheme. Find out more about the warm home discount scheme on GOV.UK.

If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get a winter fuel payment of between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. Find out more about the Winter Fuel Payment on GOV.UK.

You may be able to get a cold weather payment if you’re getting certain benefits. Find out more about cold weather payments on GOV.UK.

Carers' benefits

If you spend at least 35 hours a week looking after someone, you may be able to get benefits as a full-time carer. You don't have to be living with the person you're caring for. Find out more about benefits for carers on GOV.UK.

Middlesbrough Council's Welfare Rights Unit

The Welfare Rights Unit provides specialised, independent, and confidential advice, helping you to claim the benefits you're entitled to.

Phone: 01642 729242