Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Benefits and Council Tax Icon

Discretionary Fund

About the Discretionary Fund

Applications are now open for the Discretionary Fund. This is for households which are not eligible for the Council Tax Energy Rebate, or which are eligible for further support.

If you fit the criteria for the Discretionary Fund, you’ll be able to apply for a payment of up to £150, depending on your circumstances.

We’ll be accepting applications in phases (groups), so it’s important that you look at the timetable below so you know when to apply.

Discretionary Fund phases

The first phase is for households in Council Tax bands E to H, which were getting Council Tax Reduction on Friday 1 April 2022.

The second phase is for households negatively affected by the new Council Tax Support scheme which came into force on Friday 1 April 2022. ‘Negatively affected’ means that under the new scheme, you’re now getting less Council Tax Reduction than you were before, so you have to pay more Council Tax.

The third phase is for student properties or other houses in multiple occupation where the household is responsible for paying energy bills, but was not eligible for the Council Tax Energy Rebate. You can find out what a house in multiple occupation is on Shelter’s website.

The fourth phase is for households in bands E to H which are exempt from paying Council Tax due to severe mental impairment, or are foster carers registered with Middlesbrough Council.


Eligible group

Quick Code

Applications open

Applications close

Households in bands E to H, getting Council Tax Reduction




How you’ll get your payment

If you’re eligible, you can decide to have the payment credited to your Council Tax account instead of paid into your bank account. This means that the amount of Council Tax you have to pay over the year will be reduced. If you’d rather have the payment credited to your account, you do not need to complete an application. The payment will automatically be credited to your account once the deadline has passed. 

To get the payment into your bank account, you’ll need to make an online application using the link below. You’ll need to give us specific information so we can check you’re eligible for the payment.

Payments will be made on a first-come, first-served basis, and will be subject to the funding we have available.


You must apply online using the Grant Approval website. You have to register for an account, and you’ll need an email address to do this.

We’re using Grant Approval for applications because we’re required by the government to make certain checks on your application to make sure you’re eligible. The only way to apply is through the Grant Approval website.

Once you’ve registered, look for the Quick Code box. You can find your code in the timetable above. Your code will depend on your circumstances. You can find out more in the ‘Discretionary Fund phases’ section above.

A screenshot of the Grant Approval website showing the Quick Code entry field

You’ll need your Account Reference, which you can find on your latest Council Tax bill or reminder. You’ll also need your local authority reference number, which you can find by checking your Council Tax band on GOV.UK. Once you’ve typed in your postcode and have a list of addresses, click your house address to find the information you need. Your local authority reference number needs to go in the Property Reference Number section of your application.

If you’re eligible for the Discretionary Fund because you’re getting Council Tax Reduction, you’ll also need your Claim Reference to use as the Property Passcode. You can find it on your Council Tax Reduction decision notice.

More support

If you’re struggling with money, the cost of living section has information about benefits, support with debt, and much more.